Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 26 and 27: Chick Flicks

Day 26

Today I woke at 10 am. I had a meeting at school and nothing girly happened until I got home.

Yes, the picture is reused

When I went over to my house to visit I ended up watching "Pride and Prejudice" and "A Cinderella Story" on the Lifetime Channel.

Pride and Prejudice was a good movie. My boyfriend had never seen/read the story, he initially pouted and said that he hated "Victorian era" films. After a while, he gradually put down his DS and was absorbed. Noah ended up loving the film, the idea that a poorer woman was judging a rich man surprised him since he was expecting a cheap flick. I then realized the world of Jane Austen was invisible to many men.

Even me, someone who has never read a Jane Austen book knows of her incredible power over modern women (or at least Hollywood seems to think so). I've felt barraged by Jane Austen's film adaptations since 2005, seriously, click the link; since 2002 Jane Austen films and shows have been churned out nonstop!

Just a few of these films

I want to know why exactly this is such a hot topic now when it was really a pressing moral issue at the time these novels were published. From my uninformed assumptions; the women in these books are smart and require more than just a knight in shining armor.

There were also incredible social pressures for women to marry a rich man but never seem too desperate. These cultural expectations still ring true in our culture today, but why do we need so much reinforcement?

I'm definitely going to do some more research on this, but my personal biased and uninformed opinion about just why Jane Austen would appeal to today's culture filled with independent, smart, and classy women is that in this post-feminist era, is that it's more OK for women to become housewives and marry into money which has made the media retaliate to show that independent and smart women are still something to be desired.

The other film also reinforced this principle although it was heavily cheapened."A Cinderella Story"(see plot summary in hyperlink) also starred an intelligent and demure girl who ends up getting her "knight in shining armor" (AKA the football captain and hunky popular guy).

I sadly related somewhat to the film except for the happy ending part of course. I also had oppressive twin stepsisters and was the outcast in school. I even spent most of my socialization in my teen years talking to people on the internet!

When Noah and I got to his house later that night we watched an episode of Sex and the City. In the episode I noticed a very subtle detail. When the girls were out to lunch in one scene, Carrie and Samantha were sharing their meal! I also remembered an episode of Friends I'd seen where Joey hated sharing food with anyone.

My boyfriend Noah wasn't completely against sharing food, but at times he did glare at me when I liberally plucked some chicken nuggets from his plate.

From these few observations (and a few others I can't tangibly describe because they are such vague memories) it has gotten me to wondering if there is a hidden social standard that women share food and men don't. I honestly have no idea, but it's good brain gum for you all to chew on.

Day 27

Today I went out with some girls to get manicures. I decided since there were only 3 days left I'd get my acrylics removed and my nails painted red. I had no idea what I was getting myself into!

Now this blog isn't a business review site, but I have to say the service there was terrible! The woman who did my nails seemed to have no idea what she was doing, I just asked her the prices and she stooped her head down and just said "umm..." and that I guess was her answer. Now I understand that some people are shy but you're getting paid by me to get this done so don't put me in an awkward situation!

I had to dip my fingers in nail polish remover for the next 20 minutes. for those of you who have never encountered nail polish remover; it feels and smells very similarly to rubbing alcohol. My hands felt like they had been walking in the middle of the desert with no water for a few hours.

my "fingers dipped in rubbing alcohol" smile

She very gradually shaved off the excess acrylic and painted my nails. Usually they give you a little light chamber you put your hands under for about 5-10 minutes to get them to dry but she was finished as soon as the painting was done. Somehow I was expected to get up, grab my purse, reach in and grab my wallet, pay, then open the door, walk to the car, open the car door, start the car, and drive without even touching my nails.

Feels just as pleasant as it looks!

This was probably the most stress I've been through in a while. And of course, I didn't leave unscathed at all. I like the color though! I just wish it were shiny instead of scratched and pockmarked.

Now that my nails were back I was excited to put them to good use. I then realized why acrylics were so addictive; my nails were weak and brittle! Before I couldn't even itch myself properly but now I didn't even feel comfortable itching myself for fear that my nails would fold over on themselves!

My nails were once strong and independent, now they're fragile and needy! I can't wait for them to grow back!

Poor little guys!

I also watched 2 more chick flicks: "Valentines Day" and "Because I Said So".

Noah and I decided to watch "Valentines Day" not on Valentine's Day because everyone else would be watching it then and we didn't care enough to fight for tickets. I was a little worried because I saw on Cosmopolitan.com that it was an absolutely atrocious film. I thought to myself if a woman at the girliest magazine at all time hated the movie then why in the hell should I like it?

I was at an advanced stage of chick-flickitus though so I ignored the review. The movie was predictable as stated in the review, but it wasn't terrible. These flicks have definitely begun to wear at my proud resolve; for the first time I can recall I said "awwwww" in a movie, and meant it!

This makes me really disappointed in whoever reviewed the movie in Cosmo. I mean, they should know by now that most women readers would not be so picky in their films, and when does a magazine for women trash on films for women? Cosmopolitan isn't exactly known for their intellectual articles or deep questions of what is right or wrong. It just doesn't seem right.

I also watched "Because I Said So", and I realized I had peaked my chick flick fever. My reactions to every comedic moment were fully expressed by loud squeals and huge grins.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, so I hope you all enjoy it, I know I will!


1 comment:

  1. Interesting concept for a project. This has the makings of a future reality TV show.

    ReplyDelete