Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 13 and 14: The Initiation

Today I got to go to my very first boat party! I woke up at 10:30 and it took me a few hours to coordinate my outfit just for the daytime. I think I'm going to wear this outfit for Day 15 by the way because no one at school really saw me in it and I'm running out of clothes since I'm still at my house.
Ughh, I HATE the 80's and their convoluted style


You'll never guess who lent me the fishnet shirt!

My outfit was one of the biggest stretches I'd dealt with when it comes to fashion. I absolutely abhor the eighties and everything that has to do with their style. It looks so unflattering! But I had the clothes. It took some creativity to really push the look. I needed a waist belt but I didn't have any, so I took a belt from my closet that I hadn't worn since sophomore year of high school and taped it together. I of course gave myself a pat on the back for my creativity.

Still, I feel like a huge poser/sell out and will be incredibly embarrassed if I can't find a way to pull together a better look for tomorrow. It doesn't even seem that girly, it seems too stupid. ugh!

Anyway, I got to my friend's house at about 2:30 pm, the party was to start at 9pm. We were going to have girl time for the rest of it! I was really excited, especially because the car ride felt so lonely without Noah next to me(he went to hang out with guy friends over the weekend).

Girl time started out a bit shaky since I didn't know Lacey's friends too well, but we all warmed up to each other pretty quickly. One of them even read a lot of my blog, which made me really excited! We talked about girly things; makeup, fashion, nails, hair, etc, and it was nice. One girl did everyone's makeup, and told me about an awesome website called makeupgeek.com.

Getting the "smoky eye"

It seems that having someone do your makeup is similar to when chimps pick lice off each other. I mean, if you do some light reading on it you'll see that not only does it help them be cleaner but it's also a bonding experience. For us girls, it's a very similar dynamic.

When it got to be around 6:30, we shared some wine together and then I really loosened up. Now I don't mean to sound cocky, but when I drink I become AWESOME. When I'm sober I can be really shy in a group of people, especially people I don't know too well, but when I drink I lose my insecurities and not only to I act awesome and super friendly and nice but I also act way smarter!
Lacey and Rebecca

Lacey and her sister

I've been trying to crack the code where I am like this all the time because I love drunk me, but to no avail! But being an alcoholic won't suit me either, because alcohol destroys my body. Physically it really takes its toll in many terrible ways.

On our way to the party, we saw a huge limo parking in front of the dock, I felt like I was going to some high class VIP event, even though I could hear other people in the background complaining about the size of the boat.

The boat had a bar area/a dance floor, an upstairs bathroom area/lounge, and up one more floor was the roof outside for people to enjoy the fresh air. My friends and I were hanging out at the lounge when I told them I wanted to make lots of friends here.

"Yeah, that would be fun, but you can only make guy friends, you can't talk to girls," one of them said.

"Oh, that sucks," I complained just when I group of girls walked up the stairs, heading for the roof. I still felt like being friendly so I waved and smiled. I exclaimed to my friends; "I just want to be able to make friends with people!"

"We do too!" Two of the girls heading for the roof overheard me and walked over to us. I was thrilled! We chatted with them for a while until I was just talking to them and my friends left. I realized I needed to find them since the boat was about to take off so I bid the new girls adieu.

This was a great start to an absolutely amazing party. I met tons of awesome people! Sadly, my phone was dead so it was near impossible to exchange contact info (I was not going to give my number to any guys no matter how nice they seemed, it just wasn't appropriate!) but I did give my email to two people and my number to one really nice girl named Vera.

Also, I cannot remember ANYONE'S name that I met there. I left really sad because there seemed to be some really interesting and awesome people there! I hope I can go to the next boat party and there will be the same people.

I probably was hit on that night alone more times than I've been hit on in my life! I learned how to be assertive without being too bitchy (though I'm sure many guys would argue the contrary).

It's a tough situation for women when they're at a club/party and have a boyfriend: you have to be very clear that you are not interested and that you are faithful without seeming too bitchy, and most guys will say "well, we can still be friends right?" and you can't really discern between the liars and the honest ones.

My dress

I'm sure I pissed off more than a few guys out there, but what am I supposed to do? Just let guys grind up on me while I'm dancing? No, I've got morals (despite the lack of religious background) and I do not let guys touch me just because my boyfriend isn't there to judge.

When you're taken and all these guys hit on you though, you get to see their hidden agendas and insecurities play out much more clearly than if you were single and looking. One very pushy guy kept insisting on dancing with me and after he continued to try to get too close and I left he came back asking me why I "bailed". He then tried to play the "if you want me, come get me" card which meant I was finally free from his idiocy.

But seriously, despite the assholes, this party was phenomenal! I got to meet so many beautiful and sweet girls who really taught me how to just let loose and be carefree. It seemed that the most attractive girls would gravitate toward me, which I didn't mind in the least. I got to dance really close to them and I honestly felt like I was getting lucky they were so gorgeous!

One really amazing girl kept telling me I was so adorable and that everyone there wanted to get to know me. She said I was the most beautiful girl at the party and people noticed! Of course I ate it all up, it was great!!

At the end, I felt like some sort of goddess. Guys and girls alike were coming up to me and telling me I was so beautiful and asking my name. I have no idea if this is normal, but I was NOT complaining.

I got invited by at least 2 people to come join them for the after party. The limo was waiting outside!! I told my friend Lacey and she was ecstatic, but our other friends wanted to go home so we didn't get to go. I was absolutely heartbroken! I really hope I get to go to the next one!

This party was the biggest ego boost I have ever had. I now think I am to most beautiful and awesome person ever! I'm definitely going to hit up the clubs when I can nowadays, and this time my boyfriend will be there!

But seriously, I learned a lot from that experience. The most important thing was how vital it is to meet new and different people to learn from them. It's also really important to know when to relax and just have a good time. So many people go to parties and just go off in their little corner with their tight circle of friends, but that's just so exclusive!

You're definitely a better person if you are capable of being friends with anyone. You don't have to necessarily have lots of friends, but being open to having lots of friends facilitates and open mind, and that's really important!

In a way, this experience was life changing. Partly because of the massive ego boost and partly because I learned why being girly has so much appeal. I felt like this was the turning point where I finally feel part of the girly community, where I passed the difficult trial, and now I've broken through the barrier. And I have to say I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment